In 1997, the station site at Kirkby Stephen East (KSE) was derelict after closure of the line to passengers in 1962 and freight in 1974. The site was purchased by Stainmore Properties Ltd after it had been used as a bobbin factory and Stainmore Railway Company volunteers have worked over the years to develop a Heritage Centre and an operational railway which welcomes visitors at weekends.
Why not take a trip around this website to find out what is happening at KSE - our events page details operational days on which trains will run, but we welcome visitors at other times as well. Our Facebook pages give the most up-to-date information on events and we suggest checking them before setting out to visit (you can view without being a Facebook member).
This is our current website, but archival information can be found at our two other sites: Stainmore 150 (about our Grand Re-opening to passenger trains in 2011) and Kirkby Stephen East Archive which details work at KSE since we started on the site.
We have received a number of grants to develop our work and also rely on donations and shareholders for financial support - we are entirely volunteer-run. Our work has been recognised nationally through a number of awards as detailed below.
- National Railway Heritage Awards 2017 - Winner of 'Contractors Award' for work on our NE water tower and water crane
- Heritage Lottery Fund 2017 - Joint award with the Locomotive Conservation and Learning Trust (LCLT) to restore J21 60533, a NE stores van, undertake work in KSE station to upgrade our education room and run a number of steam galas
- Heritage Lottery Fund 2015 - £10,000 towards the establishment of a NER water tower at KSE
- National Railway Heritage Awards 2013 - 'Highly Commended' certificate for restoration work to date at KSE
- Transport Trust Award 2012 - for the restoration work to date on Gresley Tourist Third Open 60505
- Heritage Railway Association Annual Awards 2011 - runners up in the 'Small Groups' category for the 'Stainmore 150' Event
- Heritage Lottery Fund 2011 - 'Your Heritage' grant awarded for the 'Stainmore 150' Event
We also have a Rolling Stock trust based at KSE - The Locomotive Conservation and Learning Trust. This organisation is currently focused on the restoration of Class J21 No.65033 and a NER Bogie Tools Van both of which will be based at KSE upon completion.
Visitors reviews can be found on our Trip Advisor page and we welcome feedback from you.
Visitors to Stainmore Railway Company Website since 1st March 2018