The station is open to visitors with volunteer staff on site
Easter - 2nd weekend of December
Saturdays and Sundays 10 am - 4pm
Admission is free but charges apply for train rides
Shop & Museum available each day
Trains only run on selected weekends - see events page
Buffet Car is open when trains are running
Workshop tours may be provided*
(*subject to work schedules & staff availability)
Light refreshments can be purchased from our LNER buffet car from Easter - December which is open from 10am - 3:30pm at weekends on event days and other days subject to trained volunteers being available to run it.
Events @ KSEEaster Classic Vehicle Rally
Model Railway Show
Westmorland Dales Day
Memory Days - New for 2020
Heritage Open Days
- When we are not running trains there is plenty to see and do at KSE with a small exhibits museum, education room, children's play area and a wide range of locomotives and rolling stock to see.
- Our well stocked shop has a large range of items including Bachmann, Graham Farish, Peco, Countryside books, Gibsons puzzles and gifts for children and adults of all ages.
- With advanced notice we can arrange guided tours for groups tailored to your needs
Our events page gives more details about our operational days. We do not advertise a formal timetable but aim to run half hourly from 10-30 AM - 4 PM with extra journeys according to demand. The track is currently extends just over 0.5 miles and for the round trip you can chose to travel in either our compartment coach (BSK) or our open coach (TSO).
From time to time we also run a Gresley Teak Coach which has been restored by its owners to a very high standard.
Train Fares 2020 Season
- Adult Ticket £4-00
- Family Ticket (2 adults & up to 3 children U16) £7-00
- Additional Children £1-50
- 1370 Club Members* Free & 50% off family ticket
- Tickets are valid for unlimited travel on the day of purchase
- Footplate Ticket (age over 18 yrs only single trip) £5-00
* 1370 Club membership details can be found on our shareholders page
| Closed Season: 2nd weekend December - Easter|
During this time we undertake extensive maintenance work
Google maps does not enable us to list the site as closed
If visitors turn up and we have volunteers on site we try to accommodate them but please be aware we will not be at our best.
Kirkby Stephen is over 1,000 feet above sea level so winter can be challenging. If the weather is really bad there will be nobody on site.
Our You Tube Channel hosts a collection of videos about the work at KSE including this Trings Train Video by one of our volunteers Alex Tring