- ADVANCED CLOSURE NOTICE:
- Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th November 2019
- Stainmore Railway will be CLOSED to visitors for essential work inside the station building
- Sorry for the inconvenience
- We will reopen the following weekend
Trains operate on selected weekends, and some weekendays in August from Easter - End of August with a Santa train in December.
On non event days we are open for visitors to look round but volunteers may be doing work on site and the buffet car is not usually available.
We have a series of event days when we run trains
The site has a museum, shop and a wide range of rolling stock to see
On Bank Holiday Mondays we are open from 10am - 4pm for people to look round but do not operate a train service.
When we are not running trains there is plenty to see and do at KSE with a small exhibits museum, education room, children's play area and a wide range of locomotives and rolling stock to see. Our well stocked shop has a large range of items including Bachmann, Graham Farrish, Peco, Countryside books, Gibsons puzzles and gifts for children and adults of all ages. With advanced notice we can arrange guided tours for groups tailored to your needs
Kirkby Stephen is over 1000 feet above sea level and in the North Pennines. The weather can be challenging in winter and sometimes our volunteers cannot get over to open up the site. During winter we recommend that you check our Facebook pages before setting off. You do not have to be a Facebook user to view this information.
After the Santa event in December (our last operating day of the year) until Easter we undertake an intensive maintenance program on the site and visitors can watch restoration in action. We do not guarantee however that there will be volunteers on site a weekends due to the challenges of the Cumbrian weather. If the weather is really bad our volunteers will not be at KSE in the closed season.
Admission is free but charges apply for train rides and some events (see individual events pages).
- Classic Commercial Vehicle Rally (with Eden Classic Commercial Vehicle Group)
- Model Railway Show
- Steam Rally
- Santa Event
Our events page gives more details about our operational days. We do not advertise a formal timetable but aim to run half hourly from 10-30 AM - 4 PM with extra journeys according to demand. The track is currently extends just over 0.5 miles and for the round trip you can chose to travel in either our compartment coach (BSK) or our open coach (TSO).
Train Fares 2019 Season
- Adult Ticket £4-00
- Family Ticket (2 adults & up to 3 children U16) £7-00
- Additional Children £1-50
- 1370 Club Members* Free & 50% off family ticket
- Tickets are valid for unlimited travel on the day of purchase
- Footplate Ticket (age over 18 yrs only) Steam £15-00 Diesel £7-50 (single trip only)
* 1370 Club membership details can be found on our shareholders page
Our You Tube Channel hosts a collection of videos about the work at KSE including this Trings Train Video by one of our young volunteers Alex Tring